- Usually the reason why we feel the need to get organised is that life is starting to feel overwhelming or
- Life has already overwhelmed us. We are feeling like we are drowning, just barely holding on.
- We are feeling stuck.
- We have so much on our plate we do not know where to start.
- We do not know where to start, because we do not know where we are heading.
- We do not know where we are heading because we do not know which way we want to go.
- We do not know which way we want to go, because we haven’t thought about it and or have not made a decision about it.
Do we need to make a decision about where our life is heading before we can get organised? NO!
Will it help us to have made a decision about where we are heading in life to not feel overwhelmed anymore? Not necessarily.
Usually all these time management and productivity method „to get organised” propose a top down approach. Know your life goal and then everything else will make puff and fall in its place.
Well, knowing your life goals does not get your washing done or your clothes ironed and does not help with meeting a deadline for something you have committed too long ago, nor does it help you get moms birthday gift, an errand you had been meaning to tackle for a long time now….
So start from where you are not from where you want to be. Knowing where you want to go is the second step. The first step is to deal with what is. The here and now.
„Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they have started. “(David Allen)